FRANCISCAN CROWN ROSARY
The Franciscan Crown Rosary is a seven decade Rosary in honor of the Seven Joys of Mary.
How to pray the Franciscan Crown Rosary
Begin with the sign of the Cross (there is no Creed or opening prayers)
1. At the first decade, announce the first mystery; then say one Our Father on the fifth bead
from the Cross
2. Say one Hail Mary on each of the ten beads.
3. Announce the second mystery & repeat steps 1 through the 7th decade.
4. Say Two Hail Mary's to complete 72 years of Mary's life on earth on the fourth and third
beads from the Cross.
5. Say Our Father on the 2nd bead from the Cross & say Hail Mary on the bead closest to the
Cross for the intentions of the Holy Father.
Seven Joys of Our Lady:
1. First joy of Mary: The Annunciation
2. Second joy of Mary: The Visitation
3. Third Joy of Mary: The Nativity
4. Fourth joy of Mary: Adoration of the Magi
5. Fifth Joy of Mary: Finding Jesus in the Temple
6. Sixth joy of Mary: The Resurrection
7. Seventh Joy of Mary: The Crowning of Our Lady
First joy of Mary: The Annunciation
“behold the handmaid of the Lord, be it done to me according to your word.” Luke 1:26-33
R: May I become your humble servant, Lord.
Second joy of Mary: The Visitation
“Rising up, Mary went into the hill country and saluted her cousin Elizabeth.” Luke 1:39-47
R: Grant us true love of neighbor, Lord.
Third Joy of Mary: The Nativity
“She brought fourth her first born son...and laid him in a manger.” Luke 2:4-7
R: Give us true poverty of spirit, Lord.
Fourth joy of Mary: Adoration of the Magi
“Following the star the Magi found Jesus, adored him and presented gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.” Matt 2:9-11
R: Help me obey all just laws.
Fifth Joy of Mary: Finding Jesus in the Temple
“Not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem seeking him.” Luke 2:41-51
R: May I never lose you through serious sin, Lord.
Sixth joy of Mary: The Resurrection
“The Lord is not here...He is risen.” Luke 24:1-6
R: May we share your glory, Lord.
Seventh Joy of Mary: The Crowning of Our Lady
“a woman clothed with the Sun... upon her head a crown of twelve stars.” Rev 12:1 -6
R: Mary, may we share your crown of eternal life.
According to Franciscan tradition the Seven Joys of Our Lady are recited throughout the year. However, in recent years, some substitute the Seven Sorrows of Mary during penitential seasons.